Opened: 12th January, 1886.
The present Ayr Station is the third station in the town to have had the name. The original station, opened in 1839, was a terminus of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway. When the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway opened in 1856, connecting with the GPK&AR at Falkland Junction to the north of the town, a station called Ayr Townhead was opened on the south side of the town, 300 yards south of the present station. Townhead was renamed Ayr on 1st July, 1857, when the GPK&AR's station closed; however this second station closed on 12th January, 1886, when the present station opened by the Glasgow & South Western Railway. It has two through platforms, two bay platforms at the north end for services to Glasgow, and an overall roof which has been partly cut back. Prior to electrification of the line, a number of carriage sidings (Kyle Street Sidings) were located behind the west side of the station. Electric multiple-units are now stabled at Townhead Sidings, to the south of the station.
Almost-new LMSR Class 2P 4-4-0 No. 647 stands at Ayr Station with a northbound passenger train, circa 1932. No. 647 was built at Crewe in September 1931 and withdrawn as BR No. 40647 in October 1961. [C.J.L. Romanes/L&GRP]
( Collapse )